04 August 2007

Blueberries By Request...


It's blueberry season here in New Hampshire. Last Sunday afternoon I picked four quarts of blueberries to make old-fashioned blueberry cake... not to mention pancakes, cobbler and muffins! *lip-smacking delicious*

New Hampshire weather has taken a turn to hot and humid the past couple of weeks. So early tomorrow morning our family will be off to pick eight quarts... or two buckets of high bush blueberries. Blueberry season in our area won't last much more than another week or so. *insert sad face*

This recipe is a tried and true family favorite of ours, however I'm uncertain of it's orgin?! I'm always on the hunt for another blueberry recipe to add to our own repertoire of recipes. *wink*

Old-fashioned Blueberry Cake:

3 Tbsp. Shortening
1 C. Sugar
1 Egg
1-1/2 C. Blueberries

3/4 C. Milk
1-3/4 C. Flour
2 tsp. Baking Powder

Cream shortening; add sugar, beaten egg and milk. Sift flour and baking powder and add. Stir in blueberries. Batter will be thick. Bake in shallow greased pan in moderate oven at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes.

Serve while hot with butter or sprinkle with powdered sugar. Double recipe for use with oblong pan.

Makes a light, moist cake for breakfast consumption. Enjoy....

I look forward to our next visit. Until then...

6 comments:

Mary said...

Oh my goodness! This cake screams eat me. :) Wow does it look delicious and I can hardly wait to try it. As you know I all ready have the ingredients to make this scrumptious looking cake.I wish I lived lots closer to you because if I did I would be right there helping you eat this cake.Yumo! Tomorrow I will be going blueberry picking too and will make sure I get at least 2 buckets full of berries. Aren't we lucky to be able to pick our own blueberries?
Thank you, Anne for sharing your cake recipe and for taking that awesome picture of a piece of your cake. I am over here drooling. :)

bensarmom said...

Anne,
This looks so wonderfully delicious! Wish I was closer to you too. Blueberries are one of my absolute favorite fruits. Your cake recipe may come in handy soon. However, I doubt I'd share it for breakfast with my family! LOL

Rochelle W said...

Yummy. Looks delish!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this. It looks so yummy. Hugs

Lisa's Blessed A Latte said...

I am taking care of my Pastor's house, which includes feeding the cat,watering their garden and....picking blueberries...I gave them ALL to my neice who is a major baker. My husband and kids have been picking blackberries like crazy, he's canned 25 jars of jam so far...You cobbler looks scrumptous!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Anne-

Wow, you cook too! Yummo...this cake sounds delicious.

Hugs.
Tami